Scroll a lot? Shoulders stuck forward? Got neck pain?
How often are you training “the row”?
I love being on my phone. But I’d also love to be able to move my arms until I’m 100. I’ve been training “the row” for 9 years which helps combat the time I spend on my phone and want to remind you to do the same. Here’s why:
Benefits of the Row
- helps maintain mobility in shoulders and neck
- can help prevent pain in shoulders
- helps keep the upper body in proper posture
- can build dense muscle that burns calories
- aesthetically shapes an attractive upper back
If you have forward shoulders, below is a 6 part video series that I’ve used over three years to mitigate it. A little further down I discus the different ways I train the row.
Upper Cross Fix Video Series
Do this routine every morning for a week, see the dramatic difference in your posture and upper back / shoulder pain.
I train the row differently depending on what phase of training I am in.
The Row in Phase 1
In phase 1 the row should be performed with a stability implement.
- Standing single leg row
- Standing single arm row
- Seated on stability ball single arm row
- Renegade Row
The Row in Phase 2
The row in phase 2 is performed in a superset.
- Stability ball single arm row super set with a bent over dumbbell row
- Standing single leg row super set with seated single arm row
The Row in Phase 3
- Seated narrow grip cable row
- Bent over barbell row
The Row in Phase 4
I don’t do rows in phase 4. Phase 4 is strictly olympic style lifts such as the snatch, clean & jerk, snatch balances, deadlifts and squats.
The Row in Phase 5
In phase 5 we superset a traditional strength exercise (a heavy load) with a power phase exercise (with a light load performed as fast as possible).
- Traditional seated cable row super set with speed tube row
- Traditional seated cable row super set with wood chop throw
To see exactly how often, how much, how, with what I train this joint action, check out my 12 Month Training Program here. I train a lot of people with chronic neck and shoulder pain. I see this problem worsening for the entire population and hope to help prevent it as much as I can. Share this post with your friends to help them with their posture & pain. Sharing is caring. Are you daring? =)
I currently post twice / week. Once on Fridays on G-I-Lane.com, instagram.com/g.i.lane and facebook.com/gilane about #FitnessLife, #WeightLifting & #Form. And once on Wednesdays on Patreon.com/gilane about #lifestyleplanning, #goalsetting, #habits, #mindset and #organization. Up until today I was posting a #VLOG once/week on Youtube.com/gilane as well showing the behind the scenes of my life & business. I’ve shifted my youtube posting to Wednesdays and will only post twice / week now BUT across all platforms. Yay!
I’m trying to raise the means necessary to post three times / week in order to add #mealprepmondays to the mix. I have 5 patrons paying 9.99/mo so far. At 100 Patrons I’ll begin posting three times / week. Become my 6th patron today and not only
👉help me educate inspire & connect, also
👉gain access to my 20-Step lifestyle planning course on Patreon.com/gilane, AND
👉access my collection of 250+ $5 Fit Food Meal Ideas on instagram.com/g.i.lanemealpalnbook
I live for this shit! I love you all so much! 👉 G-I-Lane.com/patreon
Original: 2/29/16 | Updated: 8/22/18
Download your FREE G.I.Lane© WokeFokk© Lifestyle E-Book by Entering your Email below!
WokeFokk© is a Lifestyle E-Book by G.I.Lane© that helps people get their Mind Right before and while embarking on fitness & business goals.
This book includes:
- My Wants Vs. Needs Chart that lists all elements needed for your goal
- A Daily Routine Habit Worksheet to get your time management on point
- List of the Pillars of Health in Priority from greatest to least
- Purpose Worksheets to help you find what you love and aspire to be
- My Philosophies on Life and the details of each
- A Mango Basil Smoothie Recipe to get your Meal Plan & Prep locked on
- A Leg-Day Workout to build the muscle you’re going to need for these dreams of yours.
Your E-Book will be sent to your email shortly. Thank you for joining my family. Cheers to your fitness & health.